Picking paint colours can sometimes seem like a daunting task. What you decide can either make or break how a room “feels”. Colours are often the elements that unify all that lies within a space, and if chosen incorrectly they can also be the elements that cause a room to fall flat or be disappointingly unappealing. So how do you know what colours are best for you? Try following these guidelines and hopefully you can get started in finding the perfect palette for your newly designed space!
- Consider the overall size of the room – smaller spaces often look better with lighter tones in order to make the room appear larger, and larger spaces can often accept deeper tones and not look like they’ve become smaller after being painted
- Consider ceiling height – If you have a high ceiling you can often play with the colours and opt for painting it either a tone darker than your walls or even something completely different in a darker tone.
- Always use what’s in the room as you consider the various options for colour. Look at furniture, fabrics, floors, art and anything else that will help you make a decision to tie everything together
- Don’t be afraid of colour, but make smart decisions with it. Choose colours that will enrich the space now but offer flexibility should you ever want to change it again down the road. Why change the walls later when you don’t have to!
- Make sure if you’re painting more than one room in your home, to choose colours that will flow from one space to another. When a home is well designed, the colours that are used can be unique within each room or area but need to also work together as you move throughout!
- Finally, when in doubt, don’t be afraid to get a colour consultation! Remember this is part of what Decorators and Designers do every day, and with our knowledge and background, we can ultimately pick the BEST colours for your room(s), and it will be done right the first time, with no guesswork! It’s inexpensive, and you will be glad you did in the end!